An Invisible (Micro) Pet That We Own And Feed At Home – Dust Mites
It is not very rare to see our kids falling sick nowadays most of the times due to Fever, Cough, and Sneeze. I had an impression that kids who fall sick very frequently in their early ages would have more immunity when they grow old. But, is it a fact or a myth? I do not know to be honest. Maybe it is a fact but not anymore as most of us, parents do not let the kid’s body to fight against the sickness on its own. Instead, we tend to take the kid to a doctor on the 2nd or the 3rd day and start using the Antibiotics. That being said, it is not wise to blame the parents as well. Especially, when we are living in a highly polluted area the dust and dust mites caused infections are somethings that we cannot avoid.
Image Credit: Pixabay
It is very true that the human body loses its capability if not full, at least partially to fight against some infections. This is because of the pollution and as we live with dust mites, “The Culprits”. I am addressing the dust mites as culprits because, in most of the scenarios, they are the ones who play a role in leaving the kids and elders sick at home. With these Dust Mites, the micro pets at our home, we need not step outside to get infections.
Image Credit: Flickr
Dust and Dust Mites Are Related But Not The Same
Before moving on further, for the readers who hear the term Dust Mites for the 1st time, here is some hint. First and foremost Dust and Dust Mites are not the same.
- Does not have a life.
- They are just different fine particles that got accumulated and floats in the air. For example, dust from smoke, wood, glass etc.
Dust Mites –
- They are an eight-legged tiny bug (not a bed bug) that lives with us in our Mattresses, Quilts, Bed Spreads, Pillows, Couches, Cushions, Curtains, Door Mats, Carpets etc.
A nearly invisible bug for a naked eye. We need a microscope to see this culprit.
Lives for fewer months but leaves a great volume of junior bugs every 3 – 4 weeks. I have read that a female mite can lay around 30 eggs every few weeks.
Found in humid environments.
Capable of being a reason for Sinus, Asthma in kids and adults.
Dust Mites Never Sleep
When we sleep, these eight-legged bugs stay awake and work on increasing their volume. They feast on our dead skin particles that our body sheds. For example, Dandruff, hair follicles etc. Do not forget about your pet animals hair loss as these mites love that too. It is not the Dust Mites that cause allergies in kids and adults but their poop.
Excretes of this bug that turned to an air dust is what causes Sneezing, Coughing, Continuous cold, Nose blocks, Breathing issues, Runny nose, Watery eyes with fever etc in kids and in adults.
Image Credit: Pixabay
If you are already in a shock, here is some more to get to know.
Dust Mites have a great love towards our Mattress, Pillows etc. The weight of a mattress and the pillows we use changes or increases over a period of few years. This is due to the dust particles and the Dust Mites poop.
Good To Know:
On an average, a 10-year-old mattress holds between 100,000 and 10 million bugs including bed bugs.
It is a well-known fact that every one of us carries or would have carried tiny things like lice on our heads during childhood.
But, have you ever heard about EyeLash Mite?
– Our Eyelash is a home for many live eyelash mites.
I do not think that we can eradicate dust mites totally but we can control it for sure. Here are few things that will help us prevent ourselves and our kids from getting affected by dust mite allergies.
- Try to maintain dry air in the bedroom (i.e.) maintaining 20 to 30 % humidity in the bedroom will do a great job. Using a dehumidifier is also an option.
- Train your pet animals ( not the micro ones) to stay outdoor. Wash their bedding regularly.
- An air purifier might also help but a very well ventilated bedroom can do the trick. Leave your bedroom windows and doors open at least thrice in a week. Let the sunlight enter the room. If you are worried about the safety, then you can do this whenever you are available at home and during weekends.
- Vaccum / Dust your Mattresses, Pillows etc. regularly. In case, if you can place the mattresses, pillows or similar in a place where they can get direct sunlight then that would be best. Do not forget upholsteries in the guest bedrooms. Also, remember the netlon’s used over the windows to get rid of mosquitoes.
- Consider choosing dust resistant mattresses if easily available.
- Wash the stuffed toys, blankets and similar in hot water at least once in a month. Consider your apartment terrace or shades at least for the items that you can carry so that the cushions get direct sunlight.
- Clean the filters of the air conditioners or similar on regular basis.
- If you can find allergen-proof fabric covers for your pillows and mattresses then that would be helpful.
- Do not smoke a cigar inside the house. The ash dust can also add more issues to the existing problem.
- Keep your hair clean without dandruff and do not leave any organic debris like hair follicles to get accumulated at home.
- Consider buying essentials oils especially, Eucalyptus, Tea tree, lavender oils as they are known for being an enemy of dust mites.
- Keep minimal decors and pieces of furniture if you are not gonna clean your home daily.
Note: My special Thank You to my friend Ram for throwing insights about the Dust Mite. I hope you found it to be informative.
Why do we Sneeze and have Runny Nose in the Mornings as soon as we wake up from the bed?
You know the answer now. Take Care.